GlobalCapital is looking to hire a reporter in its New York office to cover the US securitization market. The reporter will produce a full range of editorial content from scoops and deal news , through to opinion, analysis, data and podcasts. Not only will they become the authority within the newsroom on their particular segment of the securitization market, but they will also become an ambassador for the organization within their corner of capital markets.
We are looking for an inquisitive reporter with initiative, able to think independently and take responsibility for a beat, who is comfortable picking up the phone and developing new contacts. Extensive knowledge of financial markets is not required, nor are formal journalism qualifications. But a determined attitude, a desire to learn, and an ability to work at a fast pace are.
GlobalCapital is the capital markets newspaper, owned by Delinian. It has been an authoritative source of capital markets news for professionals for over 35 years and has an equally long history of developing and training reporters and editors.
The successful candidate will be supported locally and globally by an experienced team of editors and colleagues. The company offers flexible working as well as early finish Fridays.
Role paying between: $65,000 - $75,000 per annum
1. Write GlobalCapital’s daily coverage of one segment of the US securitization market (exact beat to be decided further on), identifying the most important deals, themes, people moves and industry news. The goal is to provide readers with entertaining, original and in-depth content that is a must-read for people operating in the market.
2. Build a high number of deep relationships with key people in the securitization market, ensuring the newspaper is at the forefront of its subject by delivering unique, valuable stories that its readers find essential to do their jobs. This may involve travel within the US.
3. Be the voice of their market within the team, able to pitch story ideas, champion special report and feature ideas, while often collaborating with the rest of the editorial team to make sure GlobalCapital provides fantastic coverage and is ahead of market trends.
4. Provide cover for other market sectors where appropriate to both develop skills and allow the most consistent coverage.
5. Represent the newspaper at industry events both to provide coverage and to enhance its reputation as part of the fabric of the markets it covers.
6. Contribute towards the relevant data, awards programs and special reports or products – where relevant – that GlobalCapital produces for the global securitization market.
The reporter will report to the global securitization editor and the US bureau chief.
Works with the global securitization editor and US Bureau Chief to produce market coverage. Although the global securitization editor guides the overall direction of coverage, especially in the early part of the reporter’s career at GlobalCapital, and will have final say over what is covered, the reporter is expected to pitch their own ideas and, indeed, manage their own workload.
Has strong relationships with key people in and around their market sector to provide the sharpest and most insightful coverage. That means having the ability to call people in the market directly rather than having to rely upon press teams and other such gatekeepers.
Works with the global securitization editor, US Bureau Chief, subscription sales, marketing and production teams to make sure their coverage reaches the biggest possible audience, presented in the best way achievable.